What was once a luxury hotel for wealthy Philadelphians and later an educational institution for seminary students will now become the first modern apartment building on the “Main Line” in over 50 years. Now offering apartments for rent in Wynnewood, PA, The Palmer has a long and rich history.
Constructed in 1919 and designed by famed Philadelphia architect Horace Trumbuaer, The Green Hill Farms Hotel has overlooked the Philadelphia Main Line for nearly a century. The hotel received its name because of the green pastures that surrounded it. While boasting a great view, Green Hill Farms has been far more than an onlooker of history. A piece of history itself, Green Hill Farms Hotel served as the host of many major events in the early twentieth century.
During Prohibition in the 1920s, rumors spread that Green Hill Farms contained a speakeasy. A police raid took place, and yet the only item confiscated was one bottle of whiskey. It was revealed in trial that two prohibition officers drank ten of eleven bottles found. At the conclusion of the trial, the owner of Green Hill Farms was acquitted of charges for producing and selling alcohol.
A few years later, an even bigger case occurred within the walls of Green Hill. Local newspapers broke the story of a man who killed his eighteen-year-old sister’s lover with a shotgun. The brother claimed his action was to “save her good name.” This defense was good enough for the jury, as he was found not guilty on all charges.
• The Palmer •
In 1933, The National Football Rules Committee met at Green Hill Farms. The previous season fifty lives were lost on football fields. In a continuing effort to make the game safer, many rule changes were implemented. At Green Hill Farms it was decided to legalize forward passes from behind the line of scrimmage. After this decision, football began the path from near extinction to the multibillion-dollar business it is today.
In 1939, the Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary purchased The Palmer and repurposed the resort into classrooms and dormitories, constructing the chapel in 1951.
Developer Cross Properties purchased the Palmer from Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary and placed it on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012. Beginning March 2015, The Palmer will be home to 110 rental residents with unparalleled amenities.
• The Palmer •